Thursday, May 5, 2011

International Day of Reason

On this International Day of Reason, I went looking for something poetic and true to put on my Facebook page and came across two quotes below that stood out for me. My thoughts follow the quotes.

"There are only three types of people; those who have found God and serve him; those who have not found God and seek him, and those who live not seeking, or finding him. The first are rational and happy; the second unhappy and rational, and the third foolish and unhappy.” Blaise Pascal

I think Blaise Pascal made an accurate assessment as to the different states of choosing what they believe, but I think he has concluded incorrectly the natural association with their choices. Not saying that it isn't entirely possible that some would follow those characterizations, but to make a blanket statement like that is wrong. I know many people who have found God, but are unhappy and completely irrational. There are, also, many non-believers who are completely happy and completely rational. Then, you have those in-between who are happy or unhappy and rational or irrational. His proclamation about the natural conclusion to his original statements don't fly. The only possible reason he came to these conclusions is because his religious perspective clouds his rational mind.

“When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit.” Ayn Rand

And here is an example of someone who comes from the perspective of having no religion. The conclusions she draws are accurate and rational. Sadly, when having disagreements today, the discussions tend to be rational thinking pitted against irrational thinking and so, it isn't about one winning or understanding reality or having both parties gain experience and knowledge; it usually ends up in a bitter fight about who is right and who is wrong, that's all. It's ideologies clashing and protective emotions raging, as reason and rational discourse get tossed out the window

So, today and every day, I choose reason and logic. It just seems more rational. 

Won't you join me? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment