Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Feeling Misjudged?

As someone who has come to the conclusion that the label atheist is the best descriptor for my thought process about the whole religion/god thing, I can say I've been frequently misjudged as a person because of it.

It can be frustrating to be the recipient of that judgement. Sometimes you lose friends and have to embrace a different social circumstance, but I wouldn't trade it up for the world at this point. Not being afraid of people because I happen to possess a different opinion and having the ability to think things through for myself continues to strengthen my resolve in the face of their judgement. My hope is that all who don't fall in line with a religious mind-set would feel their own strength and combat this judgment at every turn.

Take a second to watch this video. I have to say I loved this video. It went to the extreme end of negative assumptions; really dark examples of what we are to those who would judge those of us identifying as atheists. Obviously, the take-away is that it's a parody, but my guess is there are people who really want to believe that atheists are what is represented in here.

  

My point would be, if you're feeling misjudged, join the crowd. We've all felt it, but don't let it get you down. Just remember to keep showing those who would malign us, publicly or privately, they are full of shit. Be better than their worst judgment about us. Create and enjoy your life, however you decide it works for you.

Those that judge will never stop until some epiphany occurs and maybe not even then; who knows what keeps them from accepting reality. Let those people believe whatever they want to believe. Remember, beliefs are just that... unsubstantiated thoughts. Look at what they accept - a silly book and magic man in the sky - that alone tells us their thought process is whacked. So if they want to believe bad stuff about you that isn't true, it's just as whacked. And not worth paying attention to or giving any consideration beyond laughing at them. 

What does their book say? Matthew 7:1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

Treat them better than they have ever deserved and show them how it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment