Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'd like a little honesty with that Weiner, please...

Anthony Weiner showed us that he has a sexual side. Some may say he's a deviant and wrong because he sexted it. He accidentally let all his followers know of his erect status instead of just the one intended person. And as the days go by we find out that it goes much further than that. What more will be brought to light is anybodies guess, but frankly, I couldn't care less. However he needs to get off is his business... well, his and his wife's, actually. They, really, are the only two people this should involve.

I don't think what he did was deviant or wrong, it just is. It's his private life and how he chooses to live it, doesn't concern me. Just as I wouldn't expect anybody to care about what goes on in my bedroom, I really don't care what goes on in his. However, the media does... well, maybe not mine, but certainly Mr. Weiner's and now he's got a whole big mess to deal with because of it.

His ordeal is something I wouldn't wish on anybody, but unfortunately, when you are a public figure, everything comes under scrutiny and judgment. The question is... does he deserve all this though? I firmly believe the tweet part and his sex-capades are his business and should not have warranted all the press or calls for resignation.  Especially if it turns out this has really all been done privately. For lying directly to all our faces and seriously thinking that we would just swallow those lies; there he has crossed a line that puts him in the 'untrustworthy as a representative' category and for that, he does deserve this attention. And frankly, I don't feel sorry for him. He had an opportunity to come clean and he chose to be an idiot about it.

As difficult or as embarrassing as it may have seemed at the time when the tweet originally went out, I really think he could have changed the discussion from 'what's he trying to hide?' to 'how about a little respect for my privacy?' had he only been honest to begin with. He could have possibly become the first politician to just admit to an oops! and say "Yeah, that's my crotch. Beauty, ain't it? By the way, it was done on my time and it's my business." At the very least, it would have been brushed off as a joke and he would have successfully beat the Breitbart's of the world to the punchline and diffused this whole situation.

The discussion would then have been about his right to privacy versus him being an out and not so proud liar, in addition to the private details of his sex life. He still may be a deviant to some, but at least his integrity would still be intact. Well, maybe not even that, considering the attitude of  some people. I speak of the crowd that considers anything to do with sex as immoral if it occurs outside of procreation.They seem to go all besides themselves whenever it happens otherwise. I think deep down it's a cover-up for jealousy, but that's another topic.

I would have had so much respect for the man, had he done that. And I believe, many other citizens across this country would have appreciated it as well. Hell, he might have even started a trend of having honesty put back into a place that sorely needs it. Wouldn't that be something? People who are serious about their politics would perk up their ears, that's for sure. "What? A new brand of politician? He's honest, you say?"

Let me think on that fantasy for a moment. One of a Senate and House of Representatives full of honest officials, representing us and what is in the best interest of this country; and one where their sex lives are nobodies business but theirs. I'm savoring it...Because reality will set in much too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment