Monday, December 5, 2011

"It Spoke to Me" and I Must Post It

Philippians 4:6-7  New International Version (NIV)

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Tonight I saw a status update on Facebook that I would term "shorthand for jesus-speak." Many times, and I've done this myself, Facebook fans feel the need to post things slightly coded but not really indecipherable. Because I happen to have christians as friends I do get the religious posts occasionally. The most recent 'Phil 4 6-7' was easy enough to figure out. I don't get many, that's perfectly all right. I'm always up for learning something new.

Spoiler alert - I didn't. What I understand is first, don't be anxious. Meaning - god's got this, so no worries. Second, but even if you're paying attention to the first part of not worrying, you should still pray and petition (gratefully) your lord and savior what you're totally not acting worried about. And then it goes on to say itself that it makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever, but then you will feel at peace because you did.

I've attempted to wrap my mind around this many different ways, tried not to be insulting in my thought process, but each time I come back to WTF?

Why would you need to keep praying and petitioning when the man says he's got this? And from a rational perspective, why would you worry anyway? You can't change things, they are what they are.

These kinds of things make me glad that I don't believe in the irrational. My life is simpler and easier for me because I've got my head firmly planted in reality. I worry about those who don't.  :) Nah, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment